Friday, September 08, 2006

First Steps

Some time ago, I decided that I really ought to get my chartership sorted out with the Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals (CILIP). Colleagues of mine had done it and many of the jobs that I was considering (especially those in the public sector) required it. So I registered.

At the same time, however, I also regsitered and started a Diploma in Management at the University of Leicester. Unfortunately, it appeared I had bitten off more than I could chew and as the company was paying for the Diploma, it took priority.

Now almost two years later, I have finished off the Diploma (or at least all of the requirements - I'm now just waiting for the next convocation process in January 2007 to take place) and am getting down to sorting out my chartership.

First thing to do is check which regulations I am to follow. There are some recently-introduced ones that might have come into effect after I registered...an email has been sent off to CILIP asking for confirmation.

Second thing to do is to get confirmation that my Master of Library and Information Studies (MLIS) from the University of British Columbia (UBC) is considered a CILIP accredited course. CILIP's website says that they have a reciprocal agreement with the American Library Association (ALA) and UBC's School of Library, Archival and Information Studies (SLAIS) is ALA accredited so should be okay...but I'd like that in writing - just in case I get to the end of this process and am held up on a technicality...an email has been sent off to CILIP asking for confirmation.

Third thing to get sorted out, is a mentor...


No comments: